Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Meat of The Matter

I really don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.
I love Youngstown, and would like nothing more than to live here as a successful artist, secure in the knowledge that local art is revered and supported in spite of difficult times. Youngstown has great potential, and there is nothing wrong with a diminished population, it can be advantageous in certain circumstances.
I wish I could have attended, "The Rust Belt to Artist Belt" discussion today, because I would sincerely like to know what practical ideas were on the table. Prior to this, I've only heard a lot of nonspecific hot air pushed around. In a recent email to a friend, while I was expressing my displeasure  regarding my recent rejection, I wrote this:

"Considering all of the empty/abandoned buildings around town, I can't help but to think how nice it would be to get someone to donate gallery space to local artists. People involved wouldn't necessarily expect to make a ton of sales, but could view it as an opportunity to launch their careers, by having their first solo exhibition at a bonafide art gallery, something for the resume. Artists who volunteered to man the place, could also use it for studio space. Such a place would probably be eligible for all kinds of grants, and might do all right on the world-wide front with a good website."

In my opinion, that would be a concrete move that would provide a community-based outlet for self-determined artists to take some sort of steps towards establishing, and furthering their art career without having to leave the area. Realistically, as a local artist, I don't think we should expect to generate enough income through local sales to exist on, but that doesn't mean that we can't garner the communities support, and enthusiasm  in other ways. I think organizing group shows, that are attended mostly by other artists, and the families and well-wishers of the participants, but no one planning to spend their money isn't the answer. In fact it builds disillusionment.
Again, I love Youngstown, and want to actively participate in projects that promote local art in a substantial way. I wish there were more of them. I'm currently participating in The Community Art Projects Foundation's, "Masterpiece Mosaic" . Above is the rough sketch I submitted for the project. It features some of the classic local architecture we know and love. I just can't attend one more group show where they sell more sandwiches than art. I can't stand to look one more time with empathy at the despair in the eyes of my fellow local artists. I've done it before. I'm losing my vision to an untreatable eye disorder, and don't feel I can spend my time in that manner. I need to make my efforts count for something.
Sorry if I come off cynical or skeptical, but it is what it is.
Some local organizations that claim to in support of local artists seem to only be good at raising donations for their organization. If any of the massive donations they've raised have or will trickle down to actually benefit local artists, it remains to be seen. Other local artists organizations would genuinely like to find a vehicle for advancement, they just don't seem to be able to muster what is necessary.
I sincerely believe the first step must be a permanent local venue dedicated to the promotion of any local artist with a body of work that can be shown. It can't be primarily about money. It has to be about exposure.

Posted via email from pooch posterous

No comments: